Friday, January 04, 2008

Introverts, extroverts and noises in the night

With the family gone and life getting back to normal, I consulted my list. There were at least three or four phone calls to be made, calls I’d delayed on the first couple of days of the new year giving myself the excuse that my brain hadn’t started work yet. But two of them were invites to a social evening next weekend. I’d promised I’d try to rearrange my Neighbour Do and I couldn’t delay asking any longer. Fortunately, I’d caught some of the potential guests at the drinks gathering on New Year’s Eve. I would so much rather talk to people in the flesh – or write to them. What is it about the phone that is so off-putting. True, I do talk to my children regularly on the phone, but then I know them. I don’t need visual signals in the same way that I do with people I don’t know too well. I think it’s the mark of an introvert that they/we prefer writing things down to picking up the phone.

I gritted my teeth and did it all in one go – rather like taking a whole batch of pills with one swallow. I spoke to two answerphones – how pleased I was with that – no social interaction, just a message – and one of them has already replied. Another of the calls was to one of the judges of the Winchester Writing Festival. She had contacted me in response to my request to use her words when Tainted Tree is published next May. She said she was emailing me, and the email didn’t arrive. I was able to leave a message there too. Having done so well, I rang the hairdresser too and booked a trim for next week. My hair has been hopeless – both floppy and fluffy - since I last went. Don’t know if it’s the weather, the shampoo, or my age.

M had an appointment with another doctor and I went with him to make sure he didn’t forget anything. While I was trying hard to get over and receive information, M seemed determine to ramble on with anecdotes. I got the impression that he thought it was up to him to entertain the doctor. Maybe he’s even worse than normal when I am with him, on the basis that he has an audience of two. M has not a grain of introversion in him. If a thought pops into his head, he has to let it out. There have been times at the social gatherings recently, when I have been inclined to say to him, ‘Too much information.’ Yesterday, there were moments when I felt like saying that to the doctor too. But then that’s job.

The Son&Heir telephoned a couple of days ago. He was worried about a noise in his house, which he thought might be running water. M discussed this with him at length, suggesting finally that he should access the boxed-in stopcock and turn the water off. The S&H rang again last night. He had done this and it hadn’t made any difference. The noise went on and on, and he couldn’t trace it. When they all went to bed, the noise disturbed GD1 and she couldn’t sleep and had to swap beds with S&H. He woke up at five in the morning as the sound was still going on. He called a plumber who was due to come this morning. Finally D-i-l conducted a search of every room, trying to locate the sound – and yesterday evening, she found it. The source of the non-stop high pitched sound, which had probably attracted all the dogs in the neighbourhood was GD3’s (obviously neglected) tamagotchi.

7 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Still laughing about the Tama-thingy - you are soooo going to have to put that in your novel!! Wonderful.

And well done on making those calls - you can relax now!

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

I was thinking - it was the sort of thing that if you put it into fiction, people would say it couldn't happen.

Yes, all I've got to do now is the social thing I was inviting them too.

Jan said...

Years ago, the same thing happened here.
Weird sounds emanated; nobody could place.
In the end, we found a tiny electronic toy inside the laundry basket which for some unexplained reason is always left under the cooker...

Jackie Luben said...

At least we'll be prepared next time something similar happens.

Sue said...

Fab story it really made me laugh.

I remember years ago my hubby had gone abroad for work and I was at home with my now eldest son.

In the middle of the night this noise started coming from the living room. In my braveness (or stupidity) I went downstairs to investigate.

There by the fireplace was a pokemon figure that had just started up on its own calling out "Pikachu, Pikachu" over and over again.

It really scared me, more for the fact that it started on its own than anything else.

Hope everything is okay with M and very well done for sorting out the phone calls. Why we get so hung up about it I'll never know, but you're not on your own.

Jackie Luben said...

Gosh you were brave, Sue. I hope you took a poker with for the potentional intruder, even though it turned out just to be a pokemon person.

Jackie Luben said...

And I should have said, M is fine. But his reaction to previous medication has to be checked out, just to be on the safe side.