Saturday, September 13, 2008

Apples and honey cake; autumn and time travel

I have been updating my website. I felt it was time to include some of the comments I have received from readers of Tainted Tree. In addition to that, I have included the whole of the artist, Janice Windle’s comments on its own page. My programming is still somewhat trial and error, and sometimes new headings suddenly dive to the bottom of the page because of the removal of some small command. I have thought about upgrading my site so that I have a domain name. If I did that, I ought to call it jacquelynn.luben.co.uk, but the question is would anyone ever be able to spell it.

We have to face the fact that despite having had no summer, it is now autumn. Apples are falling from our tree and part of my routine is to peel, cook and freeze a dish of apple for future desserts. I normally try to make an apple cake too and put it in the freezer; I can only serve it in small quantities, because the apple on top makes it go mouldy very quickly, but it’s always very popular. Bearing in mind that we have a vast crop this year, I have no excuse for not trying to produce desserts for later on when the tree is bare. I have been giving away apples when wanted, and one friend is feeding her horse and a friendly sheep on the smaller ones. She’s taking about 4 or 5lbs a week - that’s about 2 kilo.

Because I feel I am rapidly becoming a computer addict (including blogging and playing patience) I didn’t switch on today until 9.30 p.m. Instead, I sorted out the washing, talked on the phone to son and daughter, went for a walk with M, and since the sun was shining, sat out in the garden for about an hour reading the latest book - The Time Traveller’s Wife. I have to say, this is the third book in a row I’ve read about a weird character. Next time, please, can we have someone normal.

Talking of which, I finished Engleby by Sebastian Faulkes) for the reading circle on Thursday last. The eponymous hero (?) was extremely weird to start with and very unlikeable. But during the middle part, I started to like him much more and at least admire his wit and humour. But I suspect that Sebastian F allowed his own personality to seep through there - and certainly elements of his life were portrayed in the plot - Cambridge/ journalism. Sebastian F is always a treat to listen to on The Write Stuff on BBC Radio Four.

To round off the day, I have been in the kitchen making a honey cake the traditional Jewish New Year cake, which also contains ginger and spices (I accidentally put too much spice in it, so I hope it will all right.

Now, I’m switching off and going to watch the last part of The Last Night of the Proms. Always worth watching the British at their most eccentric.

No comments: