Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Family dos and birthday treats

It has been a fairly social few weeks; my brother in law came for dinner; my younger sister-in-law and other half came for dinner the following week. I made a beefy meat pie (with my own pastry), as bro in law doesn't like to see to much greenery in the meal. I made a mistake with the hors d'oevre, though - avocado pate - very green indeed.

Then this weekend, the S&H and famille arrived to join us and the neighbours for a bonfire party. Unlike last year's magnificent effort, though, it was a bit of a damp squib. So wet and miserable. The bonfire took for ever to light and needed aerating from underneath with a garden leaf blower. And we needed so much shelter to watch the fireworks. Our neighbours - each with teenage children and a huge number of friends, put a lot into it. I just did my usual tray of chocolate brownies and a tray of baked potatoes. They all went.

On Sunday, the S&H and OH and children took us out for a meal to celebrate my birthday, earlier in the week. We went to our usual Chinese restaurant. Whereas in the last year we had to join a long queue at the buffet, this time, it was not very full. I'm glad we went there. We have to keep supporting businesses that are going through a hard time.

The family also bought me some books - Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales, Dawn French's autobiography and the little ones gave me Teach your Granny to Text which I believe contains the uplifting comments of around 5,000 children. I expect the latter to be rather cuter than the Angela Carter one which I imagine will be rather gleefully black.

My son was roped in to help remove stuff from our loft, as we're going to have it lagged, or rather, the lagging that's there, is to be augmented. So he and M removed about three mattresses and an iron bed frame, and lowered it down and later took them to the local dump. S&H also found a box of school books, and was still sitting on the floor of the porch, peering into the box and muttering, about an hour later. I suggested he file the stuff in his bedroom and work through it slowly. Too traumatic to throw out everything at once - I know; I'm the same.

Today, I've been dealing with invoices and a quotation. They're all ready to go in the post now, which is just as well, as I'm in and out tomorrow - meeting a friend and having my hair trimmed.
I also sent off some stories to a competition last week. Trying weakly to keep the flag flying, but really, I'm not feeling at all creative at the moment. Perhaps my writing days are over.

No comments: