Thursday, March 04, 2010

Hidden treasure - the snowdrop philosophy

I see I have been a bit repetitive in my last blog, rehashing the old ground of the Bramley library presentations, but also my Writers’ News prize – which is now in my possession. So my apologies for not offering you something more unexciting.


So now for some new news of an embarrassing nature. A couple of days ago, I went to Sainsbury’s to do my weekly shop. Having spent an hour in the shop and however long it takes to unpack my newly acquired produce on to the conveyor belt, I discovered at the check in, that I had no wallet on me. Considering I had been lugging a weighty bag on my shoulder during that entire time, you may wonder what I was carrying. So did I. A search revealed, apart from some ancient tissues, the cash float from the Bramley trip – about £20 of one pound coins and other assorted silver. Useful for parking, perhaps, but inadequate to pay my grocery bill. Sweeteners, indigestion tablets, two pens, a mobile phone, makeup and a diary. Also three pairs of spectacles – one for reading; one sun glasses and the new prismatic ones for dealing with my double vision. But no wallet. I had visions of having to unpack my trolley and return everything whence it came, and was mentally trying to work out how long that would take me and where to put it, seeing that I’d had some problems finding it in the first place. However, the counter assistant reassured me that my trolley could be wheeled away to a place of safety until such time as I had fetched my card, or fetched my husband with his card, which seemed a better option. Is the brain going, as well as the other non-working bits of me? Should they be wheeling me to a place of safety?


And while we’re on the subjection of my non-functioning bits, I haven’t yet described the hassle I’m having with my medical insurance provider; I’m being shunted backwards and forwards with requests for procedure codes and problems with the venue. So each day, now I have a chat with both sides of this eternal triangle, but to date, it seems, they haven’t wanted to talk to each other. I hope, when the time comes, I’m not lying there, with surgeon and knife hovering over me, saying, ‘How do you propose to pay for this?’ Oh dear, I might be thinking, I’ve left my wallet at home.


In the garden yesterday, I got much pleasure in seeing the crocuses open at last, responding to the sunshine. I really love these flowers, resembling bright jewels in the flower bed. Looking back to this time last year, I discovered I had spotted sixteen snowdrops in my garden. This year, I’m down to 15, despite my optimism that there would be more. However, I’ve divided them, and now have groups in four different places. I’m sure they will multiply, once they’ve got over the trauma of being split in twos and fours.


This time last year, I spent a lot of time talking money. Planting bulbs is a kind of investment. You put them in the ground and hope to see your investment increased, year on year. I’m glad to say that in the financial world at least, things are improving, so anyone who invested a year ago should be in a better position today. I’ve been awfully sensible during this last year, investing with caution, and mainly for income, since the OM and I are getting long in the tooth. However, for anyone interested in investment, I’m taking a punt on Antony Bolton’s Fidelity China fund, due out shortly. However, my philosophy remains the same – never borrow to invest; don’t put your eggs in one basket and spread your risk.

No comments: