Monday, May 03, 2010

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Today, we’ve been on a walk around Wisley Gardens, Surrey, with a group of people, including Irene, and with Jennifer as our guide. At some time, you will no doubt be able to see photos which Irene has taken, on her site. But I, in the end, didn’t take my camera. It was a bitterly cold day for May, with a north east wind; fortunately I was dressed for February or March with coat, scarves, and gloves and after a while we took refuge in the huge greenhouse, with its range of cacti, succulents and tropical plants.

Yesterday was a similarly inclement May day. The OM and I having done nothing but sit and talk on Saturday, went for a walk in the afternoon, after a morning of more or less non-stop rain. I put on my coat, which had already been put to one side post winter, and didn’t find it too warm at all. M & I took a new route and found a footpath that we had not known about. It was rather narrow and prickly, but we made it to the end. Arriving back on the main road, though, we had no idea where we were. There was no sun to guide us, so we guessed, fortunately correctly. Unusually for us, we walked for over an hour. Near the end of the journey, I took a couple of photos of local young lambs, which I’d been meaning to do for several days.

Having walked on two days running, I hope to have lost a pound or so, to compensate for over-indulgence on Saturday, when we were at a 100th birthday lunch – the mother of a local friend. Having abstained from naughty things for a week, I had a couple of profiteroles and a slice of cheesecake at the party – as well, of course, as a main course. We saw the Queen’s telegram to the party girl – who seemed in fine form, and who blew out the candles on her birthday cake, with the assistance of two great grandchildren.

As a complete non-sequitur, I loved this piece which appeared in the local church newsletter, although I can’t say I remember the relevance:

This is the transcript of a genuine radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in 1995:

Americans: Please divert your course 15 deg. north to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert your course 15 deg. south to avoid a collision.

A: This is the captain of the US navy ship. I say again, divert your course.

C: No, I say again divert your course.

A: This is the US carrier Lincoln, the 2nd largest ship in the US Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers, and numerous support vessels. I demand you change your course 15 deg. north or measures will be taken to ensure the safety of the ship.

C: We’re a lighthouse. Your call …

No comments: