Monday, June 21, 2010

Hysterectomy Diary

9th June, Day 7

A week since my admission. 7.40 a.m. and my breakfast has just arrived.

Now, at 11.30 I feel as if I’ve done a day’s work. In preparation for my departure, which surely must be in the next day or two, I showered myself and took off and replaced my socks – which I’m sure have a fancy name, and which are for the prevention of strokes, and extremely tight and difficult to manoeuvre. Having some talcum powder might have been helpful, in this respect. I was partly inspired by the fact that two male nurses were on today, and this gave me the necessary push to look after myself.

Other things that would have been helpful to have either here, or on standby at home - at least another two or three nighties. It would have been sensible for me to have selected them and put them in a pile where the OH could have found them. As it is, when I asked, he brought in a very old one with a hole in it. It seemed too complicated to explain where there might be some others.

Things which I’m glad I brought – make-up, shampoo, contact lenses; reading glasses, pretty dressing gown; indigestion tables – and sandals with velcro’d straps – more practical than slippers.

10th June – Day 8

Today, my bladder has taken over from the bag option and I’m soon to be discharged. Tomorrow will be Day 1 of my convalescence. The consultant has told me to have two weeks of pottering – walking 100 yards from my house – 2 hours’ afternoon sleep, and allowing my body to heal.

No comments: