Thursday, February 01, 2007

Chocolate temptations




Yesterday, M had one of his periodic days of retirement. This meant that he hung around the house doing odd jobs (boy things) outside, leaving the door open, but coming back in for something every time I closed it. He wanted me, eventually, to take him to the station, so I couldn’t get started on anything. In my mind was a list to deal with – new short story; bookkeeping; end of month statements, ironing. None of them were jobs I wanted to be interrupted once I had started. This went on till about midday and when he went, I had lunch and tried to get a photo of my crocuses, but it didn’t come out very well.


I decided, as it was a fine day, to go and pick up some deeds from a solicitor in Guildford. Having done that, I came back via the Stoke Road cemetery. I visited a grave that is important to me, and was sad to see that the few snowdrops and daffodils I had planted in an earlier year showed no sign of coming up. It was a good day to visit, because it was neither cold nor windy and the cemetery is surprisingly colourful.

I didn’t get down to anything at all on my return; spent too much time browsing on the net; and then wasted the evening watching Dalziel and Pascoe. Can anyone explain about the pronunciation of Dalziel? I couldn’t really believe in some aspects of this episode. Warren Clarke (Dalziel) with a face pack! I don’t think so.

Today, I’ve been to Guildford to meet up with my fellow graduates from Surrey University. A delicious veggie lunch at the Guildford Institute. We’d reserved a table for ten and I was hemmed in by my companions. So I was prevented from getting out to acquire one of the wonderful desserts that Leone and Celia make for the regular lunches. I was also aware that not one of my fellows had a double chin, which was also persuasive. After lunch, I browsed, looking around clothes shops, and went to the bottom of town in search of a furniture shop, which appeared not to exist. My legs were aching once I got back to the car. The omission of the dessert, (chocolate roulade or meringue with a pecan nut base) haunted me on the journey back and the thought of chocolate wouldn’t leave my mind, so that I rushed to have a slice of marble cake once I got in. I am such a weak willed wimp.

3 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Dalziel with a face pack? Oh, Jackie, I'll have to lie down for half an hour with the shock of it now ...

And it seems cruel of your friends to prevent you getting a dessert - I think you were very brave!

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

Sorry Anne, wouldn't have wished to cause you any more trauma this week.

Yes, he actually had circles of something (cucumber, perhaps) on his eyes, too.

Jackie

Anne Brooke said...

Oh ghastly, ghastly indeed!!!

==:O

A
xxx