Wednesday, March 28, 2007

People not like me

Two nice days and I’ve managed to get out for a walk each day, though my poundage shows no sign of disappearing. Much more to do with my inability to give up chocolate, I suspect. Someone mentioned to me that one of the diet groups tells you you’re allowed a sin every day, in food terms, but I’m probably eating more than my allocation. Still I’m always better as the weather improves.

I finished Anne Brooke’s A Dangerous Man yesterday night. (It was very different from anything I’ve read before and quite difficult putting myself into the mind of a disturbed young gay man.) Anne’s hero, Michael, takes you on a journey into a twilight world and into an environment that most of us won’t have encountered. Nevertheless, any creative person can empathise with Michael’s desperate desire for success in his chosen field, and most readers will understand his longing for love and recognition. Anne has shown great insight, in stepping into the shoes of this dark and obsessive character, and in leading us through highs and lows to the book’s compelling climax. For those bloggers who haven’t heard of it – unlikely, I know - it can be found at: http://www.flamebooks.com

The Apprentice is back on TV. I miss the old music, which I know is a classical piece, but can’t actually remember the name at this moment. Nevertheless, I find it great TV – all these amazingly confident people. I could never be anything like that. I’ve always hoped that I could be self deprecating and other people would sing my praises. Unfortunately, usually they don’t and often they take you at your word. I did reasonable job of selling myself when I was selling my book, The Fruit of the Tree, but it was hard work, and very much against the grain. On tonight’s episode, one team made a profit of £300 and spent £100 – the other team spent £300 and made a profit of £100. (All figures approximate.) It doesn’t take a genius to work out that their sales were pretty similar but one team spent far too much, and that’s why they lost.

3 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Only one sin a day??!?? Oh Lord, I'm in soooooo much debt!!! You are obviously a saint, Jackie ...

And thank you for your very kind review of ADM - hope it wasn't too disturbing, especially as your books are always so wonderfully emotionally uplifting! Please may I use your quote on the website at all?

Many thanks again!

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

Of course you can, Anne. And thank you for your praise too.

And in regard to sins, if I were as slim as you, I would consume boxes of the stuff. (And I was once, but then my sweet tooth developed with the years and the whole situation changed.)

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jackie!

But stuff & nonsense - we're all fine figures of women in Guildford Writers, as you know perfectly well!

A
xxx