Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Anniversary?

Like Anne (www.myspace.com/annebrooke), it was my anniversary yesterday. I used the term advisedly, as M often speaks of ‘your wedding’. Sometimes I choose to ignore him, as I know he is winding me up, in one of the many ways he knows how. Other times, I take the bait. In spite of this, M does not usually remember the date we got married.

The effect of the awful events of 2001 has meant that he does remember that something connected to our family happened on that date. A couple of days ago he started ruminating – ‘Is it your birthday?’ ‘No.’ ‘Is it Son’s birthday?’ ‘No.’ ‘Is it Daughter’s birthday?’ ‘No.’ Eventually his eyes lit up as his brain registered the right answer.

All this reminded me of a September day, years ago when the children were young enough to be going to primary school and were guided by their father. They were all ensconced in the bathroom, with me on the outside, shouting, ‘Hurry up, you’ll be late.’ Then they all emerged with a birthday card for me. Only problem – it was two months early. As you see, despite the passing of the years, M has not progressed in that respect.

6 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Sigh. Husbands - honestly!! Though I rather admired the "Your Wedding" comment. I can't be sighing at M for long though - he's just so cute.

==:O

A
xxx

Jan said...

Hello Jackie Im coming back to Blogland soon and look forward to catching up with you

Sue said...

Happy anniversary for yesterday. I loved the story at the end.

They may have got the day wrong, but they still wanted to be part of it and it's a great story to pass on!

Jackie Luben said...

Hmm, I wish I could echo your feelings, Anne. But then other people's husbands always seem to behave so well, compared with one's own.

Glad to know you're back Jan. I'll be visiting your blog.

Thanks for the good wishes, Sue. It's just a sample of Luben eccentricities. There are more in my book - The Fruit of the Tree.

Writer Girl said...

Have to say he does sound kinda cute. But then I've got to the stage where every man does! Belated happy anniversary.

Jackie Luben said...

Thanks Writer Girl
Jackie