Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hearts and other equipment

A tense few days, as M has had an irregular heart beat and was booked in to have his heart stopped and re-started. This all sounds very frightening, but now I know of at least four other people who have been through this. M doesn’t do much worrying, so expects me to do that on his behalf. The procedure was carried out first thing yesterday morning, and we had to be at the hospital at 7.00 a.m. This is normally the time of morning when M gets up, brings me some juice, plays a few games of Patience, empties the dishwasher, if it’s run during the night, and gets out the cereal. I take a sip of juice and turn over in bed. Yesterday, though, I had to get up at six, in order to go with M to the hospital. Then I came home and caught up with myself, slowly during the next couple of hours.

I thought they would keep him there till the afternoon, but he obviously became too much for them, as they turfed him out mid morning. The instructions said he was not to drive or work machinery (including kettles or cookers) for 24 hours after the anaesthetic. Fortunately, he has never worked the cooker, though he is a dab hand at tea making. I confess, I did have a problem with the hospital car park, and he has to do a spot of reversing for me, though I took over before we got to the road.

I spoke to two of my granddaughters during the weekend. Since my daughter has gone to Herefordshire, I have a telephone chat with her and then her daughter, GD2, almost every week. GD2 is quite at home on the phone, though I have to remember to ask her questions. In this, she is a little like me, as I’m better at responding than initiating telephone chat. I don’t like the phone much – it’s so devoid of visual clues, and yet you have to respond immediately. I also am not particularly good at small talk, so forget to ask people how they are, etc. GD1 when I speak to her, pours out a stream of information, so that I almost can’t keep up. GD3 has nothing to say and responds in monosyllables, yet she telephoned me on Saturday. I suspect, if she were older, she would be thinking along the lines of, ‘I don’t really want to talk to you, but I want you to know I’m thinking of you.’ My theory is that people who like the telephone do not have the same affection for emails, and vice versa. I’m expecting that when they’re old enough, GD2 and GD3 will both like emailing, but GD1 will not care for it. In this respect, M and I are absolute opposites. He has little patience with a computer at all, except to play games, while I love communicating this way. I think this might be an Introvert/Extrovert thing.

8 comments:

Stinking Billy said...

Like you. I dislike the telephone. I never did care for it - I don't know why but I just wanted calls to finish before they had hardly got started. Maybe not enough patience?

These days, however, I absolutely detest the thing and regularly refuse to answer it, neither speaking nor hearing as well these days, and I choose to wait until my wife comes off the loo, or whatever, to pick it up. She loves it more than life itself so there is no conflict of interests there.

Like you, though, I am an avid e-mailer and my contribution is to maintain ongoing relationships with friends (especially those abroad) and family members.

Oh,then there is the washing & ironing and the dirty dishes. Believe it or not but I really take pleasure in making those chores my own - at least for as much as she allows me to, anyway.

It's 'horses for courses' because she does a lot of what are supposed to be the man's jobs around the house. I guess that you and I would have split years ago, Plumber's Wife. I mean, some bugger has to answer the telephone. ;-)

You are doing all right, our kid.

Anne Brooke said...

Glad to know that M is okay, Jackie! And I too hate the phone - but love email

:))

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

Thanks for calling in Billy. Not so sure that you and I would be in conflict, as I'd love someone else to take over the washing and ironing.

But you're right about the phone. My other half will rabbit away happily on it. These days, with my son and daughter hundreds of miles away, I have to put up with it.

Thanks Anne for good wishes to M.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your troubles on my first visit! Although your grandchildren sound adorable.

I would much rather email or write a letter than make a phone call. My mum, however, would rather make a phone call. Not sure whether it's a generation thing.

Best wishes, Crystal xx

Jackie Luben said...

Thank you so much for comiserations, Crystal, though all appears to be well, now. Fingers crossed.

I don't think it's a generational thing - although I'm not giving away my true age! In any case, I hated the phone when I was a little girl/teenager, etc. I've had to adjust to live in the real world, so must use the phone, but I loved the idea of emails as soon as I started using them. And I write letters too.

Cathy said...

I'm another who is now hooked on email rather than using the phone!

Cx

Penny Pincher said...

Jacquelynn- shame on you for letting womanhood down - you be sure and get on out there and practice that reversing till it becomes 2nd nature.
Hope your man now fighting fit ..

Jackie Luben said...

I rest my case, Cathy.

Thank you Lady Thinker for dropping by. I am full of shame, but have to confess that my driving and manoevering leave something to be desired, and in that respect, I'm the archetypal woman driver. (Read my book for details of how I drove into the back of a police car.)

But I'm not a silly woman in all respects, for example dealing with all financial matters in the household.

Thanks for good wishes to the OH, who has thrown himself back into work with enthusiasm.