Wednesday, March 19, 2008

New cover for the laundry maid and bridesmaid

The book's finally arrived and the picture is on the wall. I got M to collect the picture with me, so he did the parking on the pavement and carried it to the car too. And the book is on display too, so that anyone who walks in the house will have no excuse to avoid the subject of Tainted Tree. The printers are doing a bit of repositioning of text for me, but other than that, the order should be ready in about four weeks. Then it's all systems go. Thanks Jan for the lovely cover and for my painting.

On the writing front, it's bridesmaid time again. I got a letter yesterday with my name printed out in pen (and correctly spelt). I can usually sum up the post before I've opened it - financial stuff; charity appeals; household bills; banks/cc statments, etc. Anything that isn't typed is usually more interesting than the above. When I ripped it open, I found a note from Lichfield Writers saying that two of my stories had been shortlisted in their competition. They had been kind enough to send me two certificates, but alas, had not spelt my name correctly on these. Still , nice thought. And I read out the second half of my 'bullying' story at Guildford Writers last night. Since the second half was written on the train to London last week, without reference to the first half, I had managed to change the villain's name from Damian to Darren. So I've sorted that out and will deal with other comments before sending it off. Only problem is, I can't find the mention of it in Writers' News. It won't be wasted though. I'll send it off to some competition or other eventually.

But to more mundane matters, I've remade the bed for the Son&Heir and OH, and taken down the curtains to wash too. And this afternoon, after we'd returned from the art shop, M entertained me by dictating invoices. So plenty to do. And tomorrow is the reading circle - we will be discussing Julian Barnes's Arthur and George, which was okay, but to me a surprising nomination for the Booker. For me it didn't really scintil.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Glad TT has arrived, hurrah! And well done on the shortlistings - nobody ever spells my name right either, sigh ...

:))

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

One has to be philosophical, doesn't one - that is if one can spell it.