Saturday, August 02, 2008

Books in the USA, bikes at Sainsbury's

In case anyone is wondering about my tagging efforts, I have to admit that I only tried about half a dozen Myspace friends to blog their ‘15 things about me.’ I was intending to ask Irene and Jan (apologies both - feel free to do it anyway, if you like.) I was a bit half-hearted about asking people, and in the end, only Kathleen Heady responded and put her things on the blog. Kathleen, is like me, a Virtual Tales author, though unlike me, she writes fantasy, as do several of the VT writers. Thank you Kathleen.

In the meantime, Dave from Virtual Tales tells me that Have Wine Will Travel is now on Amazon and available to be purchased in paperback in America. Alternatively, if you order now from Virtual Tales, you’ll get a 40% discount. Have Wine is to be featured in an advertising campaign in September, too, which I hope will be beneficial. Either way, it’s worth a look, just for it’s fabulous cover. So my American readers will now have a chance to buy it without paying postage from the UK.

Popping in to Sainsbury’s yesterday (I ran out of potatoes and my brother in law was coming for dinner last night.) I found that numerous bikers were pulling in to the bike spaces. I went along the rows examining the bikes and found they were all Harley Davidsons and spotted a couple of elderly devotees with tattooed arms and heavy chains round their necks. Somehow a convention of bikers at Sainsbury’s seemed rather uncool. But then, who am I to judge?

By coincidence, one of my characters in A Bottle of Plonk/Have Wine will Travel has a Harley. My little knowledge of men with motor-bikes tells me that if they loved them when they were twenty, they still love them when they’re forty, and in fact my nephew came from London to the Tainted Tree book launch on one, leaving his wife and son to come in the car.

My neighbour came over this evening to tell me how much he was enjoying Tainted Tree. I was very happy to hear this. He is the second man to tell me that he’s enjoying it. My cousin’s husband also told me this a couple of weeks ago. I never knew if it would appeal to a man, and I can’t judge by M, because he hasn’t read it and is unlikely too. He prefers non-fiction. So I’m thrilled to know that two men have actually enjoyed it and have made a point of telling me so.

Tomorrow is the Darshan book launch and I’ve made a pizza as a contribution to Irene’s party.
She hopes to have it in the garden, so after a mixed day today, we’re hoping for sunshine.

No comments: