Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hidden treasures unzipped

I'm patting myself on the back because it's 10.30 p.m. and I've finished the packing. So we can go to bed early (ish) before our trip to rain sodden Scotland.

I looked around for a suitable hold all for the train - all my last minute things will go in there - contact lens, makeup etc - and at M's suggestion found the bag I used to use for Guildford Writers. When I cleared it out, I made some interesting discoveries - a purse I thought I'd lost with £15 in it. It was my spare - for going places where I didn't want to take too much money or credit cards - and I replaced about a year and half ago. Come to think of it, I think I even reported it missing, because there was one, now outdated, credit card in it for emergencies. That's the problem with bags and cases that have lots of zip pockets. You put things in for safe keeping and promptly forget you've done it. There was also a pair of sunglasses I'd also thought I'd lost. And a short story I was going to read out at some time. It was the first story I'd ever written and I'd managed to expand it to 1,300 words. At the time (I remember) I wondered how I could ever write something longer than that. I couldn't imagine I would write a novel of 115,000 words.

Anyway it's now loaded up with tickets and itinerary, a book (about a girl searching for her lost mother - sounds familiar) and some writing stuff. (Maybe I'll carry on with Innocent Bystanders.) I've also put my 'fascinator' in there to save it being squashed in the suitcase. And an umbrella. Scotland, here we come.

8 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip in Scotland.

I'm always amazed at what I find hidden in bags at the back of my wardrobe. Mind you it's usually only old Polos, tissues and a couple of pence.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Hi Jackie
Hope you have a great time in Scotland.

After your suggestion on my blog, I've been working on a story for a Writers' News competition - I shall submit it soon! And I've also submitted one to Writing Magazine. So thank you very much for the suggestion! :-)

Jackie Luben said...

Thanks very much for calling in, Debs. We have had a lovely trip and found the Glaswegians wonderfully friendly. I'll try and do a blog about it shortly - when I've emptied all the bags - and looked in all the zip pockets.

Annie, I'm glad you're having a go at the competitions. Best of luck with the one you've already sent. I'm unfortunately devoid of ideas at the moment.

Whatever comment was deleted wasn't done by me - I haven't been here. My alter ego must have been at it. I wonder what it said.

Amanda said...

Sorry, Jackie - The delete was me :-O ... I thought I'd apologised for it on my actual comment - but, looking back, I hadn't. I seem to have left a trail of havoc around blogland with my deletes and my mistakes! I need to plan better, obviously! :-)

Jackie Luben said...

Thanks for explaining, Annie. If I hadn't been so tired, last night, I would have realised that it meant the author of the message. I never knew you could do that, so I've learned something new.

Jan said...

Enjoyed calling in after ages!

Jackie Luben said...

Hi Jan,
good to hear from you.

Jackie