Monday, October 20, 2008

Me days and Anger Management

Today was not a 'Me' day. There were a lot of boring jobs that had to be done - checking the laundry basket for washing; ironing the previous wash, now dry; filing a dish of apples in the freezer; cooking the next batch. Bookkeeping. I also went to the bank to pay in cash and took a dress, a sweatshirt and a hat into the charity shop. The dress, when I tried it on, looked incredibly garish; the hat, which once fitted me, now sits on the top of my my head like a pimple. Has my head grown? Goodness knows. At any rate, they've gone now. But they didn't make much impression on my wardrobe. I must be more ruthless in the future.

Fortunately, during some of my jobs, I had Radio 4 to keep me company and two programmes I particularly like - Ed Reardon - the grouchy and unsuccessful writer - wonderfully politically incorrect, he's a joy to hear (this week on an anger management course) - and The Write Stuff - four talented writers in a quiz show that's clever, entertaining and witty.

While in the bank paying in the proceeds of the Goldenford launch was an Ed Reardon clone. As the bank clerk dealt with several wide ranging problems of one customer, the next in the queue shouted at the two of them, 'There are other customers around, you know. There's a queue of ten people here. '

The clerk responded, that she was dealing with a customer, and when she'd finished, she would give her attention to the next one. The man then turned his attention to the customer, who replied with much control, 'I am carrying out transactions, which is what we are all here for. Some of us have one transaction, others more than one.'

However, it's easy to get irritated if you're in a rush. When I was in Sainsbury's not long ago, with a couple of items in a basket, hoping to rush in and rush out, a couple in front of me had a trolley with a number of things. If I were an assertive sort of person, I would say something, I thought. (I'm not normally.) Then it just popped out. 'You do realise this is a basket only counter,' I said. The woman responded that they had two lots of shopping which amounted to one basket each (and they did later pay separately). I raised my eyebrows sceptically. (I was in a foul mood.) There was a brief pause, Then she commented to her male companion. 'I wouldn't have said anything, would you? What an a***hole.' I ignored the comment. This is how a situation can escalate, I thought, and I kept shtum. It wasn't nice, though. I decided that my normal non-assertive behaviour might be a better option in future.

But back to the subject of writing, I almost went to a Guildford Book Festival function. I tried ringing to see if there were places available, when I returned from the bank, but there was no answer. I decided it wasn't meant to be, and I didn't go. But tomorrow night is the Guildford Writers event at the Guildford Institute, at 7.30 p.m. Do come if you're local. Adrienne Dines will be giving a talk.

And the launch of Jay Margrave's book, Luther's Ambassadors, was a great success. Lots nibbles and wine, people to chat to and good book sales, including some Tainted Trees.

And just a reminder - The Golden Girls will be giving a presentation about our books at 7 – 8.15pm in The Green Room, 3rd floor, Leatherhead Theatre, Church Street, Leatherhead, as part of the Mole Valley Arts Festival (Arts Alive.) Admission is free, so I hope anyone local will join us.

No comments: