Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A storm in the media tea-cup?

Like everyone else, I am ready to give my own view on the performance by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross on a taped phone-call to Andrew Sachs. I do not generally read the Daily Mail, and I heard about it on the radio itself and then looked it up on-line.

I decided that, though I have never done this before, I would protest on line to the BBC, as did many others. I have already heard that this whole saga is regarded as a generational thing - the middle aged (from middle England - yes, we all know about 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells') are shocked, and the youth, Radio 1 listeners are supporting their two 'edgy heroes.' I have also heard over and over again that comedy has to 'push the boundaries' and people who listen to this type of programme 'know what they're getting.'

Firstly, I don't support the idea that bad taste has to be pursued, in order to produce better comedy. I've already described some of the radio programmes I like, and I still watch repeats of 'Frazier', a wonderful example of comedy that contains both sophistication and farce, but also subtle examples of characterisation. I turned on to Radio 2 yesterday afternoon, (in the capacity of a researcher) and heard two performers laughing at each other's jokes, which weren't funny, and was reminded of an end of term entertainment at school, when the performers get carried away with their own humour. Fine for school kids, but to pay for this. Unbelievable.

The much vaunted telephone conversation included the F-word, which was not particularly shocking as we hear it so much nowadays. It shouldn't have been used though in relation to Mr Sachs's granddaughter, which to me was slander. So for me, the problem was not the bad taste, it was the fact that the bad taste was personal. The two performers telephoned Andrew Sachs, left this crude message on his Voicemail and the conversation was recorded. Mr Sachs did not give his permission for this to be used, but it was broadcast, just the same.

I have never heard Russell Brand before, and I wouldn't choose to again. I have, however, watched Jonathan Ross on TV occasionally. I see celebrities go on his programme and because they are promoting a book or a show, they put up with his smutty innuendo. When I've seen these programmes I speculate on whether I could face being on the programme, if I were trying to sell my book, and the answer is, I would hate and dread it. And one of the reasons why I made my feelings known, was because sometimes people think they have become so big and important that they can get away with murder. Not literally, but they can get away with being uncaring of people and of what they might feel. Not only is this dangerous but it also creates the idea for young people - the ones that have supported them - that it is OK to do this. We have young people going around with cameras, taking photos of people being beaten up for entertainment, for example, and these 'shock jocks' or edgy comedians are where many of them get the idea that humiliating others is OK.

Please, can we stop finding bullying and humiliating people funny. That to me, is what this story is all about, and that's what makes it important.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Hi, I popped over here from Cathy's.

Two things:

Mr Sach's granddaughter (whose name, shamefully, I've forgotten) has said that she did actually have a relationship with Brand, so it's not slander.

And apparently Mr Sachs gave permission for the clip to be used... as long as it was toned down. That didn't happen. And presumably he didn't know about them joking about him killing himself. That is by far the most horrible bit.

(I think both of these points came out yesterday so you might not have known them while writing your post)

I don't believe in censorship. But I do believe in not using abusive material - or at the last not paying for it ourselves through our TV licences. That's teh bit that makes me entirely sick.

Anyway, great blog; I'll be back!

Jackie Luben said...

Hi 'b'. Thanks for dropping in.

Yes, I take your point about the granddaughter. But I got the impression from Andrew Sachs's interview that he asked for the 'interview' - I think that was the original idea - to be recorded again. so I'm not sure he gave his permission.

It's amazing it has escalated to this point. Sincere apologies earlier on would have taken a great deal of heat out of the situation.

Beth said...

Sincere apologies earlier on would have taken a great deal of heat out of the situation.
Yes. It really would.

Brand's gone. Hopefully Ross will soon be out on his ear too. Couldn't happen to two more deserving people. I sincerely hope they go away and are never heard of again... although that's probably too much to hope for isn't it?

Jackie Luben said...

I don't think Ross will go, but I'm glad about the million pound hit to his pocket.

I would like to think that entertainers might return to some good old fashioned courtesy, now, but I suppose that's a forlorn hope.