Monday, January 05, 2009

Family, finance and frost

It's been a hectic few days. Two parties on New Year's Eve - one at the neighbour's and then straight on to dinner at my sister in law's with some of her friends, and M's brother in law - one sister and spouse weren't there because of flu. A huge meal, and other indulgences and we watched the new year in with the fantastic firework display in London on the TV. M & I got to bed at 1.30.

But we were up prompt the next morning as the Son&H and sprogs were visiting. GD1 is now the same height as me, having had her tenth birthday, last month.

I produced the nut roast I'd made last week, and turkey for the carnivores. Naturally, there was apple crumble. My d-i-l brought a huge box of Lindt chocolates. So there goes the diet for the next week. On Friday, we went to Guildford with the idea of going to Pizza Express. We didn't bank on them being quite so full. We had to wander off for half an hour and then returned at about 2.00. But Express was a misnomer. We had to wait another forty minutes after we'd got a table, and M was in full sarcasm mode by that time. The younger generation didn't want him making a fuss, so there were some tense moments. Actually I agreed with him. It was a bit much. But retailers and restaurants are obviously cutting down on staff, now, to economise, and we shall have to expect this sort of thing.

On Saturday, we had our neighbour invite, which went quite well. There were forteen in total - but I overdid the mini blinis, which were successful last year, and we're therefore still eating them as snacks and lunches. Also too many mushroom vol au vents, but M didn't mind polishing them off, and they've already gone.

On Sunday I put my feet up and read Saturday's paper, gleaning the financial pages for crumbs of comfort. This is the time to invest, if you have the stomach for it - and the cash of course. Even if the economy's in recession for another year and a half, the Stock Market will rise ahead of it. That's my belief at any rate.

Today, I've been getting things back in good order. Fortunately I didn't have to go out, as we had our first snow of 2009. It has been bitterly cold for probably the last ten days with more of the same forecast. I realise that other countries and other areas have much colder winters, but we are the south east of England, after all, and don't expect sub-zero temperature going on for days. Tomorrow, I'm to Irene for lunch and the forecast is zero all day, with -3 at night.

No comments: