Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Turning points

With the pound and the stockmarket falling again, there is a feeling of doom in the air. This is compounded by the world's other problems. Who knows where all this is going? I really hope that yesterday's inauguration is a turning point, and that somehow, we are able to change direction.

When Hillary Clinton and Obama were competing for the Democratic nomination, I really hoped that Hillary would get in. I thought she was knowledgeable and experienced and that she deserved to be President. But eventually I changed my mind. I thought that it was possible that Hillary would be a good manager, but perhaps Obama has the potential to be a great President. Of course, the problems of the world are not going to be solved in a day, or a week - or even a year. But I I really hope that the feeling of optimism that Obama has generated in so many people is justified, and that we will look back and think of this day being the start of a new era. If my friends in America think it is strange that I should be saying this, I would remind you that 'no man is an island' and we in the UK are not insulated from the world's problems. What happens in the US affects us all. As in chaos theory, the ripples of events in far away places eventually has its effect upon all of us.

Did they say it was -11C. at the inauguration, yesterday? My goodness, here's me complaining about the weather being at zero. I can't even imagine having to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue in a skirt and jacket at that temperature, when I'm defeated by a mere zero. I went for a walk today, for the first time for weeks. I wore my coat over trousers, two sweaters and a tee-shirt, two scarves and my fake fur leopard skin hat well down over my ears. I still found it cold, and what's worse, I was puffed out after the first three minutes. I'm overweight and out of condition.

But we're nearly through January, and there are bulbs coming up already. It's always good to have spring to look forward too.

No comments: