Friday, January 01, 2010

On with the new

Ten days since I last wrote – unbelievable how quickly the time goes. At least we are on the other side of the shortest day, although the dark morning a couple of days ago seemed to belie that fact.


That sort of weather, dark and wet left me feeling depressed, but with social functions – neighbours’ invite to drinks and snacks on Christmas Eve, trip to OM’s brother on Christmas Eve, visit from Son&Heir and family, late December, and planned visits to the OM’s sister tomorrow, I feel somewhat cheered. Also saw Irene yesterday and had a good chat. One side effect of all these visits has been a non-stop eating orgy, which has included biscuits, cakes, liquor chocolates, bought lemon meringue roll (delicious though), home made brownies (mine). And that’s not counting the turkey and all the main meals and the roast potatoes. Shall I go on?

As we are off visiting tomorrow, there’s no point in planning to turn over a new leaf quite yet. But I’ve put on at least five pounds in the last couple of weeks.


We watched two good films on Tuesday, after the family had gone – a period of unwinding is necessary – one was Miss Potter and the other The Truman Show. The latter of course providing an unusual take on reality TV, with its story of a man whose every moment was watched in a TV programme, where everyone else was an actor, and every activity was fake – except his own reactions to people and events. Perhaps, in the next decade, we can have a bit less of reality TV, its voyeurism, and its manipulation of vulnerable people. I prefer fiction, myself.


Miss Potter, aside from some moments of cuteness, was lovely. I was really moved by the death of Beatrix Potter’s fiancé, only weeks after their secret engagement. But I also found tears coming to my eyes, when Beatrix innocently asked whether she could afford to buy a house with her royalties and was told she had enough money to buy anything she wanted – and for the rest of her life. What a triumph that her little books, so put down by her parents, could have brought her wealth and an independent life. I don’t need the latter, but I could certainly empathise with the feelings on the success of her writing. I would be very happy to have such success (any success) in 2010. And so far, I’ve written a really long letter to the Borough Council, complaining about the non-collection of our food waste before Christmas. That at least, I feel sure, will have an effect.


Last night, we didn’t go out. I was reading my latest reading circle book by Patrick Gale, and the OM dozed off. I was tempted to go off to bed and forget about the witching hour, but he awoke at about 11.45 and we turned up the TV. After we had watched the magnificent spectacle at the London Eye on the Thames, we heard the sound of small explosions outside. We opened the curtains. The night was almost a s bright as day, the full moon casting a silvery sheen across the garden and reflecting light on the white clouds above. and in the moonlight, we could see bright sparkles of colour from a neighbour’s fireworks. And so we brought in the second decade of the millennium.


Happy New Year to all my friends.

No comments: