Thursday, January 07, 2010

Surrey in Snow


My little patch of Surrey is covered in snow. Some of the views are magical. One cannot help wanting to take yet another photo, to catch it at its most pristine, branches and leaves edged in brilliant white, sugar frosting masking all the normal defects.


So I’ve included some photographs here, but at the same time, I have to say I do not like snow. It’s inhibiting, it spoils arrangements, it costs the country a huge amount – and what’s more, it’s cold.

Today the OM and I managed to get out to Sainsbury’s, to stock up for the week ahead. We went in the middle of the day, when the sun was shining. First we took a broom to the car, to sweep off inches of snow compacted into ice, because we didn’t do it yesterday. We had to switch on the ignition and the windscreen heater, to help the ice melt a bit. Then I got in the car, and the OM pushed; it was very hard work (for him and for the car). I accelerated, but it was very reluctant to move out of the ruts it had settled in. The OM pushed for around 50 yards, and then we arrived at our neighbour’s who had already taken a car out that day. That made it easier. I drove very slowly, and had no problems until the return journey, when we pulled into the lane from the main road. Then with a bit too much acceleration, I skidded and nearly ended in a ditch. But didn’t. With frosts of -18C threatened tonight, I won’t want to go anywhere until the thaw.


Fortunately, we were able to manage a family visit on Saturday – a lovely lunch with M’s sister and the other members of the tribe. And a different family gathering on Sunday. But this coming weekend’s social visit has been cancelled. We also fitted in a Goldenford meeting on Tuesday afternoon. Just as well, because about an hour after I’d arrived home, the snow arrived. Irene tells me she’s had a statement of her PLR earnings. I’m still waiting, because the postman hasn’t managed to get to us. Neither in fact has the milkman. At least, through email and the internet, one can stay in touch.

No comments: