Friday, July 30, 2010

The Darling Buds



Having skimmed what I wrote last time, I wonder if I am anti-child. This also reminds me of yesterday’s Woman’s Hour, which was about women who have chosen not to have children. Some of them said, ‘I never liked children,’ or ‘I never looked in prams to see other people’s babies.’ I have to make a confession here, and repeat what I said at some stage in The Fruit of the Tree, my autobiographical book. I didn’t have maternal instincts before I had children; I also didn’t like children particularly, and certainly didn’t do much drooling over babies. I wish I could reassure people who don’t have babies for those reasons, that they grow up. I particularly valued my children when they turned into human beings that I could talk to, and I enjoy that aspect of them still.


I haven’t forgotten about my Chartwell photos, but they’re still in the camera, at the moment. Instead, I have a deer. This little creature got into my garden a few weeks ago, and then didn’t know how to get out. I captured him/her on camera, while he was dithering. Strangely enough, this year, for the first time for many years, we have been able to enjoy our roses. We only have three rose bushes left now, because they have died as a result of having their top growth eaten away, or because we have given them away. But these three produced buds and flowered. We cannot fathom if the deer have abandoned us because they have found somewhere that is cooler and damper, where there’s more vegetation, or possibly because a neighbour has removed an electric fence (due to having small children) and the deer are now in their garden. If the latter is the case, I’m pleased to say they have a new baby, so long may their non-electrification continue.


I’m also pleased to see that my hibiscus has a number of buds, too, so perhaps there will be a colourful display there too. Last year, the flowers seemed to drop off – or were they bitten off by the deer. It will be interesting to see. We also bought a blue hydrangea last week, and will try to take care of its watering needs, as we have the pink one we’ve been nursing for two years. (Required because I nearly killed it when it arrived as a present in a tub – much safer in the garden.)


I shall be selling books at Pirbright Flower Show tomorrow, with Irene, which reminds me - I went into Guildford yesterday, and noted that at Waterstone’s North Street, all paperbacks are being sold on a three for the price of two, basis. So rush in now and buy a copy of Tainted Tree, along with two other books you like

No comments: