Sunday, April 22, 2007

Slimming lessons and creative accounting

In the middle of last week, I got that warning tickle in the throat that precedes a cold and this developed along predictable lines. My main concern was that I would have to cancel the dentist on Tuesday next. If you’re really huffing and puffing and sneezing and wheezing, it seems pretty anti-social to go and offer all these germs to the dentist. I really don’t want to put this off, as I must get this broken tooth dealt with one way or another, as soon as poss. To add insult to injury, another piece of the same tooth broke off when I was having lunch yesterday, or possibly the day before. If I still needed to send off an entry for the Writers’ News competition, ‘It’s an ill wind …’ I could use this experience. The one good thing that’s come out it all is that I’m eating a bit less than usual. The cold’s taken my appetite away, and the broken tooth has made me eat very slowly and carefully, so that I don’t scratch my tongue. M may also regard it as a minor blessing, as I’m talking less too.

In the hope of knocking this thing on the head, I have dosed myself with almost all the herbal remedies, etc in my possession. That includes Echinacea, vitamin C supplements; cod liver oil tablets. Also linctus to soothe my sore throat. And yesterday I sat out in the sunshine for about two hours, reading Writers’ Forum. I sat out for a while today, too, and started The English Patient for the next book circle meeting, but the sun went in and so then did I. I suspect the book might be a bit too literary for me, but I haven’t read enough to be able to comment yet.

On Thursday M went off on the train to a job at a bakery. He said he would be late, and at around eight, I rang him to find out the progress. The builders who preceded him had arrived late, and he had no idea when the job would be finished. I suggested he walk out, but no, he wouldn’t do that, but he was not going to be able to get back by train. Fortunately, his sister (not the one I saw last week) was not far away, and when he finally conceded defeat, at 11.45 p.m., her hubby collected him and they gave him bed and breakfast and delivered him home the next morning. I made use of the evening on my own to get stuck into the Goldenford accounts, not turning on the TV until about 11.30 pm for a brief spot of escapism. Then with another few hours’ work on Friday, I am about three quarters of the way through. I need to polish them off, so that I can start on our own business accounts and VAT for the last quarter.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Oh dear.
Hope you've got your appetite back and are digging into roast beef carrots roasties apple crumble and custard ( best comfort food in the world) as I write...
( sorry, that sounds a bit daft, as it's 22.38)

Jackie Luben said...

What a delicious menu, but alas, I'm not there yet. The dentist trip is tomorrow, and I don't yet know what torture he will mete out.
Jackie