Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Teeth, tax and toes

Ever since May when I broke my tooth with over-enthusiastic flossing (be warned – if there isn’t the space to floss, don’t do it) I have been chewing on the other side, even though the injured tooth was lined with a very hard substance by a Spanish dentist and filled with the best filler than he had by my own dentist. The tooth on the other side, too, was giving me problems, and when the dentist took an X-ray, nothing was revealed. Yesterday, eating an innocuous piece of toast with cheese and a lettuce leaf, I heard a crack, like a rifle shot. Investigating cautiously with my tongue, it seemed something was missing – a filling, half a tooth – I don’t actually know. I am now eating gingerly on the other side, pending a visit to the dentist this week.

M, of course, is to have his toenails removed from his two big toes tomorrow - sounds horrible. I shall have to deliver and collect him, so my dental appointment is scheduled for Thursday. I suppose these sort of things are trivial in the great scheme of things, but they do assume large proportions, when compared with one’s normal life.

I have been working on the first three chapters of Tainted Tree, but other than that no writing. The Writers’ News competitions haven’t inspired me, and I haven’t had time to get back to my other novel. My desk was so strewn with paperwork that I could no longer function properly and made an assault on it yesterday, with good results. I also started on M’s tax return. When Lawson changed the law so that wives did their own returns, it made no difference to me. (Although I heartily approve of the policy.) I’d always dealt with the return anyway. So I can keep things secret from M, but he can’t hide anything from me. I think he’s glad to make that sacrifice rather than dealing with his own tax.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Poor you, Jackie - and Michael too. Hope all is functioning shortly as it should ...

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

Thank you, Anne,we'll keep you posted on the ailments.