Sunday, April 27, 2008

Profound thoughts from the dentist

The dentist trip passed without too many problems, except that when I was about half a mile away I found the road was closed and had to walk the rest of the way. I was going to take my current book, Black Swan Green, and a copy of Tainted Tree in case I got a chance to mention it, but as I was late, I had to step out smartly and I left them behind. I told the dentist I wanted a patch-up job to my tooth because I was having a party. When I told him what I was celebrating he seemed quite carried away. He had the longest conversation I ever remember him having with me before - I say he, because all I did was grunt in response - as you do. A torrent of almost emotion emanated from him - how everyone wanted to write a book - how one was leaving something behind when you went. When he’d removed his fingers from my mouth and from under my chin, I supplied ‘a little bit of immortality …’ with which he heartily concurred.

I met the caterer at the hall and we discussed how and where tables should go, etc. Drinks will be delivered there, and most of the replies are in now. The novelty of being up early overwhelmed me and I decided to make the most of the morning, particularly as it was bright and mild. I collected M’s prescription; recycled our plastic bottles and went to the bank to pay in some money. As I walked along the road to Knaphill, I was impressed at the flowers in the small front gardens - a great waterfall of purple aubrietia cascading down one of the garden walls; magnolias and camellias covered in flowers; tulips, bluebells and muscari in abundance, as well as the last of the daffs. Lovely to see. I do love spring. I went on to Sainsbury’s for my weekly shop; picked up some petrol and came home for lunch. Alas by early afternoon, I was exhausted and had to have a 40 minutes’ sleep to recover. I have, since then, quickly reverted to my normal late hour for bed and for getting up.

Today, we have had some friends over for lunch. Once again the day seems topsy turvy, as I’m not used to eating properly at lunch time. So I have just nibbled this evening. The pounds have been creeping up on me again, and I’d like to lose some of them by next week. It’s a forlorn hope though. You can’t do much in a week. I can hide the stomach, but there's not a lot you can do about a surplus of chin. Other than wearing a bandage round my face.

No comments: