Monday, April 28, 2008

Reassured by McEwan

I've just been listening to the wonderful quiz show, The Write Stuff, one of the highlights being the parodies of the work of well known writers carried out by Sebastian Faulkes, John Walsh and their teams, at the end of the programme. As part of the quiz today, though, it was revealed that Ian McEwan had made an error in On Chesil Beach, set in the early sixties, when he talked of the work of The Beatles. Apparently, at that particular time, they had not got a single song out on record. I found this very reassuring, because during the final edit of Tainted Tree, the Goldenford girls found some anomolies. I had, for example, assumed that Riding for the Disabled existed in the early sixties. Apparently, it started up a couple of years later. As a result of this, I had to make alterations to the diary entries of the mother of my heroine. Well now I know I'm in good company. And it didn't stop On Chesil Beach doing well.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Well, apart from the fact that Chesil Beach is utter tripe and Tainted Tree is shit-hot, I'd probably agree.

:))

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

Haven't read it yet, Anne. But I enjoyed Saturday - I don't think you did.

Thanks for the compliment, though.