Sunday, June 15, 2008

No murders at the Midsomer fete

I watched the final part of The Apprentice on Wednesday night. Alan Sugar pretends to be tough but he’s actually a bit of a softie in my opinion. He hired Lee, who was a good candidate, but owned up himself to being embarrassed by his lack of education. I think AS saw that vulnerability in him and decided to give him a chance because of it, not in spite of it. I shall have to find something else to do on Wednesday nights - write a novel perhaps.

Fired with the success of my inclusion in Writers’ News, last week, I sent a press release to the local paper, the Woking News and Mail. To my surprise, first thing on Thursday morning, they telephoned me and said they would ring later to interview me and would arrange for a photographer to call. I thought I could make it Monday or Tuesday and that would give me time to do something with my hair, which needs cutting and which is splaying out in all directions. However, a little later I was told that the photographer would be coming in the afternoon, which indeed he did. If I am able to get hold of a picture, you can judge for yourselves whether or not I was able to tame the mop.

Still trying to catch up with things, but I had to rush out on Friday to top up fruit, bread, milk etc, for the family coming on Saturday, and this turned into a nearly full size shop. Early evening I fitted in a visit to Janice Windle’s Open House private view of her paintings - all fantastic. In addition to that, I got ready books and props for the table at the local Village Day on Saturday, where, in the event, we had some sales, and managed to stay outdoors all day, without any rain falling on us. It was a much better day than I’d hoped, actually, and it was nice to be greeted by people who had read Tainted Tree and enjoyed it. At least one of my sales was as a direct result of a recommendation by someone else. Anne, Irene and I also discussed the very successful trip by Irene and Jay to Frieburg, Guildford’s twin town in Germany, where they had good sales of Goldenford’s books.

The Son&Heir and the entourage arrived at the Village in the afternoon, but too late to enjoy any of the entertainments. The Tug of War had been repeated at least twenty times, but unlike in past years, not across the pond. Health and Safety will no longer allow people to fall in the pond, in case they pick up anything nasty. The atmosphere reminded me of an edition of Midsomer Murders, but nothing quite so dramatic happened.

Today the girls entertained us, as is their wont (but not necessarily our want). I am reminded of Mr Bennet in Pride and Prejudice, speaking to his daughter: ‘You have entertained us long enough.’ GD1, who is a mini Imelda Marcos, and has always invaded my wardrobe since she was tiny in search of interesting shoes, borrowed a pair of heels, which almost fitted. GD3 draped herself with scarves from same wardrobe, and they then belted out songs from High School Musical 2, GD1 doing a lot of wiggling. Later we all went out for a lunch and once again braved the English weather in the pub garden, before they went off home. Hope summer is due soon.

No comments: