Thursday, June 05, 2008

Washing, Shopping and Writing

Well, post holiday it’s down to earth. I managed to get the washing out today - how lovely to see the sun again. It’s the third wash since the holiday, and there’s probably another couple still in the linen basket, but now miles of ironing waiting for me. Still the suitcases are unpacked and away, so things are progressing. Then into Guildford to meet my fellow graduates from Surrey University for lunch at the Guildford Institute. A lovely veggie lunch can be had there, and I had a chocolate and cherry gateau - To Die For. I also bought some shirts and polo shirts for M, on special offer - the shirts, not him. They linked the special offer to Father’s Day, but it’s his birthday tomorrow. And though the holiday’s over, I bought a tankini for next year. I’ve been waiting for someone to design one with shoulder straps rather than a halter neckline, and I finally spotted one. Thank you M & S.

On the writing front, my copy of Writers News' arrived this morning and there’s a nice little piece about me which includes a picture of my Tainted Tree cover.

And I forgot to mention one all important fact about the holiday - I actually wrote 4 - 5,000 words of my current novel, working title, Innocent Bystanders. This, I hope is a breakthrough, as previously, I hadn’t added anything to it for the last six months or so.

In the past couple of days, I’ve been editing the new US version of A Bottle of Plonk. Virtual Tales and myself decided that the title was too obscure for an American market, and it has been changed to Have Wine Will Travel. In addition, it has a lovely new cover. Look for it under Romance at VT. Once this slightly amended version is up and running, VT are bringing out a print version. So American readers, you’ll be able to get it from Amazon.com and won’t have to pay for postage and packing from the UK.


You may have seen the lovely comment from Elizabeth Grace on the Myspace site. Elizabeth was the first American reader of Tainted Tree, and since then I’ve had my first order from Australia, from Lyne, who’s also on Myspace. I’ve also included comments from another reader.

Elizabeth Grace:
I finished Tainted Tree and LOVED it! I tried to post a review on amazon.co.uk, but since I've only made purchases from amazon.com (the American version), I'm not allowed to add my review to the UK site. In any case, I want you to know how much I enjoyed the book -- I picked it up and kept reading through, stopping only for meals and the occasional bathroom break. I wanted to read while eating lunch, too, but my hubby took offense, so I set it down long enough to gobble up my salad.

Maggie:
I have read Tainted Tree, despite meaning to save it for my holiday in August. I couldn't resist and read it straight away in great big chunks and really enjoyed it and the twists and turns and highs and lows of Addie's search. Well done you and I wish you every success.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Wonderful! Well done!

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

Thank you, Anne.

Anne, I'm worried about you. Make sure you get some sleep - have an early night tonight.