Thursday, March 19, 2009

The busy life of a Guildford writer


It has been such a busy couple of weeks- a complete contrast to the early part of the year, when I stayed huddled up indoors. During March, there’s hardly been a day when something hasn’t been arranged, and in addition to that, I’ve been being productive and pro-active.


Briefly, I’ll run through some of my activities.

Monday, 9th, spent two hours in Knaphill, collecting my new contact lens, visiting the dry cleaners where I had a dress and a skirt taken up (I didn’t do it earlier, because I didn’t want to have to change in the shop when it was freezing); visited the bank, where the teller, Carol, asked after Tainted Tree. She had loaned her signed copy to a friend, who alas, left it in Cyprus. She feels like reading it again, so I told her she could now borrow it from one of Surrey libraries. The TV gave up the ghost, and we installed the miniscule bedroom one in the lounge.

Tuesday, 10th, spent two hours looking at new televisions and left with a new digital TV. We moved on to a carpet/flooring shop to investigate new vinyl for the kitchen floor, as it’s wearing badly. I need to choose a design, but they are coming on Saturday to give us a quote. At home finished a story I’d started and took it along to Guildford Writers in the evening.

Wednesday, 11th, a new team arrived to put the lagging (insulation material) in the roof. Above is a photo of the insulation which stayed in our hall for nearly a week. We could barely get past. Apparently the fitter with the nosebleed is OK, but he didn’t come back to us. So after three attempts, it’s all done – an amazing 8” now covers our roof space. (Not only is this beneficial to us and our heating bills, but it helps the environment too. Later, I spent two hours lunching with friends in the village at the local pub. Once home, emailed our usual hotel in Majorca, and booked flights.

Thursday, 12th, reading circle in the evening. I had prepared a presentation, as I recommended Crow Lake. Most people seemed to enjoy it.

Friday, 13th, went to London to meet my friend for chat and a wander around the Constable exhibition at the National Gallery. I was very interested, having heard his biography only a couple of weeks before. Everything suggested that he was an amicable, sociable man with many friends, and his wife, whom he waited to marry for about ten years, was the love of his life.

Weekend: Saturday, the carpet shop man arrived with his quote. When the postman called, he brought a jiffy bag, which on being opened, seemed to contain nothing but tissues. Suddenly a small shining object caught my eye. Wendy of the B & B, had found my contact lens and sent it on. M had forgotten to tell me she had rung. Good thing I didn’t immediately blow my nose on the tissues. Later, talked to both the children on the phone, and then did the weekly shop.

Sunday; lunch with friends at a local pub, followed by tea at my house. Despite an unshakeable weight gain, I bought a chocolate cake for my friends, but M & I ended up polishing it off during the next few days. We no longer have any will-power.

Monday, 16th: Back to Knaphill to pick up my skirt and dress. The skirt which fitted me last year, when I went to a wedding, is now tight. Parcelled up a present for a friend’s new grandchild, and also returned some slippers which didn’t fit.

Tuesday, 17th: A Goldenford meeting to discuss our forthcoming talks and publicity. We now have events planned for April, May, June, July and September.

Wednesday, 18th: A trip to the hairdresser for a trim and then lunch and a long chat at Irene’s.

Today: A talk in Guildford for a workshop entitled, Writing your Life. I talked about publishing – conventional; self publishing and Vanity Publishers. I shall probably return to do a similar talk in June. And today, I have booked flights to Freiburg, where I am to give readings, also in June.

Throughout this period, I have, of course, carried out my usual activities, i.e. dealing with all paperwork, accounts, washing and ironing and organising things; I’ve also sent off a couple of entries to writing competitions. I have been so efficient, I have amazed myself.

No comments: