Friday, March 27, 2009

A Missive to the West Country

I've just returned from a chilly walk - the weather is to be even colder tomorrow, I hear. But at least I got my half hour session in today - and the daffs are still beautiful. I posted some letters - one of them an entry for the Exeter Writers' short story competition. I'm putting a bit more emphasis on West Country competitions, as I would like my name known there. Much of Tainted Tree is set in the West Country - with events taking place in Bristol and Bath and a little bit about Plymouth - and I'm sure it would be of interest locally - if I could only get some publicity in that area. In fact, one extract was written on a train, looking out at the countryside, on my return from the Arvon Foundation near Exeter.

Delighted that Janice, who created the wonderful cover, has bought herself another copy from Guildford Waterstone's. Thanks Jan. As a bonus, one of the new visitors to Guildford Writers, which I went to on Tuesday, said he bought a copy of A Bottle of Plonk from the same Waterstone's, having read the first chapter on the Goldenford website. Waterstone's must be overwhelmed by so many customers for the Luben brand, and will no doubt be stocking up, to avoid the rush.

Incredible to realise that we are already one quarter through the year. Spring is on the way, and lighter evenings are coming - that's the good news; we lose an hour's sleep this weekend - that's the bad news.

This last week has been much less busy than the previous fortnight, in terms of being out and about, but at least I have nearly finished my final VAT return; sent off other stories for competitions; taken down curtains for cleaning and washed the nets in our bedrooms. The pile of papers on my desk has reduced marginally, too. On the agenda - a talk at the library next weekend, together with my Goldenford pals.

No comments: