Friday, July 24, 2009

The Summer Garden

I was hoping to have a lot of colour in the garden this summer. Of course, I have had to resort to bedding plants – New Guinea Impatiens (Busy Lizzies) in the bed that has bulbs in earlier in the year. You need to let the greenery die down on its own, but when that’s happened, it’s ready for other flowers to be planted there.

I have other beds, though, which have a predominance of shrubs. Last year, I decided that not all plants can be magnificent and dramatic like rhododendrons. I bought another potentilla, which has a neat yellow flower. I was impressed that the two I already have had flowered throughout the whole summer. As yet they are not doing a great deal, but I have hopes for them. I also bought five or six hypericums (or is it hyperica?). They too have yellow flowers and are also evergreen, which makes them a useful addition – and they have been flowering, though they are quite small, and have lost their flowers, at the moment.

Abject failures have been the two camellias I planted about three or four years ago. (I use the term ‘I’ loosely – I have help in the garden.) Not only have the number of flowers been minimal, but they are also being eaten by visiting deer. If they taste good to deer, they are not suited to our garden. The deer have stripped our roses down to bare stalks, in the past and I have given most away. I also suspect the camellias are now dying because we moved them.

A possible surprise success are two hibiscus (hibiscuses/hibisci) which have been in the garden about three or four years. I’ve discovered that one of them, at least, is covered with buds after a long famine of flowers. Will the deer come along and eat them before they materialise? I have to wait to find out.

I also have two plants in waiting, both planted last year. One is a fuschia, bought at RHS Wisley Gardens and the other a hydrangea given to us by a friend. Neither have flowers at the moment, but I hope that if not this year, then maybe next year will bring a flowering. Photos will be posted if any of the above are successful. The hanging baskets I planted this year contain fuschias and small busy lizzies and they look very pretty. If the rain would stop for a bit, I might take a photo of them.

And talking of flowers – Irene and I will be at the Flower Show in Pirbright, selling our books tomorrow. If you're in the area, come and visit us. Unless of course we are rained off. Let’s hope for some sunshine. It is supposed to be summer.

No comments: