Monday, July 13, 2009

Walking the woods and winding down

The orgy of entertaining is over for the moment. Irene's friends from Germany came over today, with her, of course, and after lunch, most of which - as in Blue Peter - I'd prepared earlier, we went for a long walk, which surely will have burned away a pound at least. If only it would all go from my chin, I'd be most happy with that. We visited the house where Irene used to live where we met many years ago, and then into our woods, past Victorian houses and a couple of 17th century places, which were probably there when Pirbright was nothing but fields and woods; past horses and a group of appealing calves, across our stream and over our little bridge, which our children used to call the Pooh Bridge. The rain stayed away too, so it was a good walk.

Now, having had my party, my annual open house for the Reading Circle and my regular visit from my brother in law, I have no social events planned here for a few weeks. I may remedy that by asking M's siblings over, some time between now and September, but at the moment, it all looks clear, with meetings with friends, and lunches out, in the diary.

Tomorrow, we three Golden Girls will be giving a talk at Bookham library. Tickets have already been sold for the event, and there is apparently quite a lot of interest. I'm looking forward to it; these shared talks always go well. And Bruce, one of my friends on MySpace, has told me that his wife has ordered a copy of Tainted Tree. I'm delighted that another copy is winging its way to the United States, and I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say about it.

No comments: