Friday, January 05, 2007

The machines are taking over

I managed to have a full session on broadband, yesterday from 2.00 pm onwards. That is to say, I didn’t lose the connection. But today, although it was on first thing – M wanted to see if it was working, I lost it again later. Being strong minded, I had turned the computer off in order to deal with the other things in the house. It’s very tempting to go on the computer, look up emails, fiddle with things, etc. When I turned it on again at 1.30 p.m., I found that I’d lost the line again. M is looking out for another piece of equipment which joins modem, telephone and surge protector, to replace the one on at the moment.

In the meantime, I’ve been to the doctor’s surgery to get another prescription for spot cream, without which I’d look like a spotty teenager – alas more of the former than the latter, acne rosacae being the cause. Also recycled plastic bottles. When I switched on the radio in my car, it veered confusingly between Radio 2 and Radio 4. Switching off didn’t help. At one point I didn’t realise I was listening to two different programmes – just thought my comprehension levels were at zero.

During my brief access period, this morning, I received all the chapters of my novella, A Bottle of Plonk (view it at Goldenford (www.goldenford.co.uk)) in PDF format from Jake George of Virtual Tales (www.virtualtales.com). I will have to read through everything again, to make sure I’m happy with it, but it seems things are moving. The format looks quite good.

After lunch I rushed off again to catch the bank. One of our errant customers had paid up, just before I got around to sending a grumpy statement. Naturally, it was full up, because they've cloed it two days a week, so everyone pours in on the odd days.

My desk is so full of un-dealt with stuff that I lost my list of things to do today. Hence, I completely forgot to get more bananas – now I can’t put Sainsbury’s off any longer – and petrol, while I was out. But later I got the machine loaded with washing and cooked our dinner – chicken soup tonight. Maybe I’ll catch up with paperwork next week.

M got the broadband connection back. All OK for the rest of the day.

2 comments:

Irene Black said...

Jackie - I only just read this (Saturday) because I thought I'd read it already! Reason - title dangerously similar to the one before! Too subtle for the likes of me!

Great news about Virtual Tales.

Jackie Luben said...

But I only printed it on Friday, late afternoon, so it wasn't delayed that long. I thought I might have a following of people who are having a battle with machines.

I'm sure you didn't really post your comment at 2.08 am. Why do they have these eccentric times on them? Or is it to do with America?