Tuesday, May 29, 2007

In loco parentis

We have been looking after my granddaughter (GD2) while my daughter and son in law sort out paperwork, following my son in law’s mother’s death. They’ve been staying with us too, and so I haven’t had much additional time. Today, I had a friend over with an equivalent 6 year old granddaughter. Great success – the two of them played with dolls; played hairdressers, became an orchestra; did colouring in and finally exchanged addresses and promises to write to each other. Yesterday, M & I spent an afternoon at the local soft play area. GD2 loved that too, and having started out a little apprehensive, got more and more enthusiastic at hurling herself down a slide. Initial visits and waves to us were soon forgotten. Tomorrow is the funeral – so a difficult day for the family.

No comments: