Thursday, May 31, 2007

Tooth, As in ‘Sweet’ and ‘Broken’

Yesterday went well and apart from an early morning tantrum, GD2 behaved impeccably, coping both with the funeral service and the burial. It’s amazing that even a child of 5 can rise to an occasion. We now have a cake mountain at our house. My daughter made cakes; I bought cakes at Sainsbury’s, just in case and then we found that the ladies of the church had also made cakes. However a lot of the people who went to the service did not return to the house, and so insufficient was consumed. We persuaded the church ladies to take back some of the cakes and use them for the next church social. I have volunteered to host a coffee walnut (M will enjoy that.) and a Victoria sponge. And of course, I will put away all the bought Sainsbury’s cakes for a rainy day. This will be difficult, as I’m trying not to eat too much of such stuff myself.

The family left for home this morning and I have returned to bookkeeping. There’s still waiting pile of business letters for action or filing. It’s a treat to have the family, but it is tiring and the peace and quiet of the house is a relief after four days of activity. Somewhere beyond the horizon, I may return to writing.

Another bit of info on the holiday front – the problem filling went wrong again, and I found myself with what seemed like a razor’s edge in my mouth, cutting my tongue and stopping me talking. I put up with it for a day or so. Then M pushed me to find out about a dentist. So one morning of my holiday was taken up with an emergency appointment at the proprietor’s own dentist in Palma. He’s put in a temporary filling, which is still there at the moment. He said I should have a crown; my dentist had already said that he didn’t think that was practical because of the size of the filling. Who am I to believe? At any rate, I have another appointment with my man next week. No doubt he’s eager to inspect the Spanish work.

No comments: