Friday, June 01, 2007

Selling our books

Today, perfect peace for the first time since our return from holiday. Even M was out at a job, but wouldn’t you know it, I didn’t really get down to the work mountain. The main reason – I went to bed too late last night and I’ve been sleepy all day long. Must reform tonight. However, I’ve just walked to the post box and posted two important letters (thus combining two jobs – dealing with paperwork and walking.)

Yesterday evening, Jennifer, Irene (www.myspace.com/ireneblack) and I had a stall at a charity function on behalf of Goldenford (www.goldenford.co.uk) . It was surprisingly successful for a small gathering and many people were interested in and bought copies of our books. We made a donation to the charity concerned – The Diabetic Association (http://www.diabetes.org.uk/) – as payment for the stand.

When I’ve finished the jobs here (chance will be a fine thing, but let’s say finished the urgent jobs) I have to type into the computer the writing I did on holiday. First I worked on the first three chapters of my novel, Tainted Tree, having taken with me the critique I got from Writers’ News (www.writersnews.co.uk). I dealt with it as best I could. It’s never possible to do exactly what other people recommend – it stops being your own writing. I have a hard time remembering to describe people and places – the latter because I don’t notice them myself and the former, because I think it’s difficult describing people. Things like ‘he had a long upper lip’ are meaningless to me. I find myself stopping in the middle of a story to work out what they mean. So I don’t put them in. I’m more likely to concentrate on what people do, what they say and what they think. If I’m forced to include description, it invariably sounds wooden and boring. Anyway, I’ve had a go. I’ll read it again myself when I type it. (If you’re wondering, I didn’t have a lap top as I lay beneath my sunshade, looking out on to the bay of Palma, I just used the old fashioned idea of pen and paper.) I also wrote 3,000 words of my new novel, working title, Innocent Bystanders. It should keep me supplied with readings for the writers’ circle (www.guildfordwriters.co.uk) for the remainder of the term.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I liked the way you describe your walking as a " job"; this is exactly what I'm doing.
Walking each day IS as important a job as anything...ie. keeping m'self fit, losing a bit of the weight that appears to have sidled up lately...

Jackie Luben said...

Yes, if only I could regard it as a pleasure. And M has turned over a new leaf too, after the Doc told him to lose a stone. So I've had to find space in the freezer for the cake mountain.