Friday, June 08, 2007

Failures in design

Maybe I should take up design instead of writing. When I was in Guildford yesterday, I examined the range of tankinis on saleat M and S and Debenhams. A tankini, in case you don’t know, is similar to a bikini, but has a little extra material attached to the top, suitable (in my case) for hiding an unwanted tummy. Perhaps it looks different on someone taller than me, but when I saw them last year, I thought it was a brilliant idea. But having bought one, I’m disappointed. It has a halter neck and this drags and is uncomfortable, and on our recent holiday, I reverted to a full length swimsuit, most of the time. So yesterday, I hunted for a tankini that had what are known as ‘straight straps’. Loads and loads of styles, but all halter necks. There was a notable exception – a designer who produced a range for er – large – ladies. Women with Fs and G-cups – I never knew such things existed – well they had straight straps. But what about the rest of us – the less well endowed? We need our comfort too, particularly those of us over a certain age. And PS, where did the name tankini come from? Does it mean it’s for women built like a tank?

I’m also very disappointed in my new toaster. I bought this some time ago, because I thought the one in use was failing, but that managed to recover and carried on toasting for a considerable time, before finally giving up the ghost last week. Until it did, I was very happy with it. It’s a Tefal and, like my Tefal iron, seemed very reliable. The new one (if I say its name, will they sue me for libel?) has so far only produced burnt toast, despite many tiny adjustments. What’s more, it leaves part of the bread blank at the edge, and doesn’t taste cooked through, despite being burnt. The problem is I bought it so long ago, (in a local shop, where a Tefal one was not available) I’m not sure I can legitimately return it. I hate to waste things; normally I only chuck things when there’s no spark of life left in them (including my clothes), but I can see that this might not be endured for the whole of its natural life.

I’m shortly off for a walk to deal with yesterday’s letters. And I’ve cleared yet another batch of ironing. Is there no end to it? Still, I dealt with the end of month statements yesterday and posted them off, so things are progressing. Next, I have to produce some food as my bro-in-law is coming for dinner tonight. Writing and reading my book for the reading group are at the bottom of the heap still, but I’m sure I will still turn the corner.

No comments: