Thursday, June 07, 2007

Meeting of ageing graduates

I’ve done it again. It’s not the 6th July that Goldenford (www.goldenford.co.uk) are selling books at Farnham. It’s the 7th July. All those in the area, please take note. And while we’re on the subject, Irene (www.myspace.com/ireneblack) brought to Guildford Writers (www.guildfordwriters.co.uk) last the proof copy of our next publication, ‘Sold to the Lady with the Limegreen Laptop’. Anyone interested in selling on E-bay should snap this up. Check it out at her site. We’ll soon get it onto the Goldenford site too.

In spite of the backlog, I spent much of today in Guildford. Firstly to meet up with my fellow graduates from Surrey University. We are a group that carried out a modular degree with the department tactfully known as the Department of Continuing Education, i.e. for those who didn’t manage to do such things at the right time in their lives, when they could combine it with getting drunk, associating with the opposite sex and any other vices you care to mention. The majority of us have not used our degree to further any career, but it was stimulating and fun while we were doing it. We meet for lunch at the Guildford Institute which has excellent vegetarian lunches and fantastic desserts, although I abstained today. Both M & I are worried about our respective weights, particularly since M went to the doctor and discovered that our scales are 5lb too low.

Later I scoured Guildford for a suitable book to take to my cousin’s Diamond Wedding lunch at the weekend. (Must make sure we go on the right day.) I got one at a shop where they sell remaindered glossy books. It wasn’t because I was looking for something cheap, but I particularly wanted a photographic record of the 20th century – something that you could dip into, and this book seemed ideal. It’s called, ‘Where were you when …’ by Ian Harrison. It starts with the war years, so it’s nearer 60 years than a century, but that seems very appropriate. But it seemed so heavy when I walked back up the hill to my car; possibly I am a complete wimp, but Guildford’s ups and downs are so tiring. I fell asleep after our meal tonight, but nevertheless managed to take a letter and alter a quotation. And I did another batch of ironing last night while watching The Apprentice, when Katie fell on her sword. That was a surprise to all, wasn’t it?

No comments: