Thursday, June 14, 2007

Home and Away

After making some progress on Tuesday, another day out on Wednesday. M’s aunt wanted him to look at a minor fault on her central heating, but we made it into a social visit. She said she would take us out to lunch to an Italian restaurant, which I thought would be a pasta and pizza type place. But it turned out to be really posh, with a lovely meal and desserts that M & I averted our eyes from. (he’s been told to lose a stone in weight.) Quite a long trip though – to Marlow on the Thames, so I didn’t fit anything else into the day. Oh managed to watch The Apprentice in the evening and the follow up on BBC Two. I really thought Christina should have won, but I could see it was a difficult choice. Christina will almost certainly attract favourable attention to her, in any case. She scored points for not dishing the dirt on Katie, the ‘pantomime villain’ as K described herself. She had only herself to blame, for she certainly made some catty remarks. However, like Christina, I felt sorry for her, particularly as, if Cathy’s blog (http://cwnotebook.blogspot.com/) is correct, she has lost her current job. For anyone not watching The Apprentice, you can carry on reading now.

This evening ten members of the reading circle came to me. I opened up cakes and crisps, but they didn’t consume much of them, so we will be polishing them off no doubt. So much for the diet. We discussed ‘The Emigrants’ and I had to own up to being a lowbrow as far as books are concerned, and liking things with plots. Bit like the stories I write myself, actually. Talking of which, I got a telephone call a couple of days ago, saying that I had been shortlisted in the Frome Festival story competition. Another piece of good news to put on my CV. Tomorrow, another day of catching up before my son and his tribe arrive for the weekend.

3 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Well done on the Frome Festival news - great stuff!! And I like books with plots too - I mean, what's so wrong about a plot??!!

A
xxx

Flowerpot said...

I quite agree about books - I like Plot and Character and my current novel has, I hope, plenty of both. Cant' personally see the attraction of ones without but like you I guess I'm lowbrow!
Congrats on the Frome Festival news - that's wonderful!
FP

Jackie Luben said...

Thanks Anne and Flowerpot. We've had some good reads at the reading circle, but this one was definitely 'literary fiction'. Lots of praise from people like Anita Brookner. (I didn't like her Booker winner either.)

I called in at your blog, Flowerpot, and it's very good, so will pop in again.

Jackie