Wednesday, June 06, 2007

An offer you can't refuse

Virtual Tales (www.virtualtales.com) is doing a special offer this month to coincide with their anniversary. So if you ever had any idea of reading my novella (A Bottle of Plonk) on line, why not go to their website and you can get two for the price of one. A Bottle of Plonk on-line is very cheap any way, less than 4 dollars – which is about £2 or £3, isn’t it? You can read the first chapter for nothing, there or at the Goldenford (www.goldenford.co.uk) site. It’s a bit of fun – not to be taken too seriously – about a bottle of wine which moves from one character – and one situation – to another – without being consumed. Not a lot to do with drink.

While I’m on the subject, another lapse of memory. Goodness, what’s happening to me? I was convinced we (Goldenford) were going to Farnham this Thursday to sell books. It turns out I’m a month early. It’s really 6th July. Good in one respect. I’ll be able to join my fellow graduates from Surrey University for lunch in Guildford.

Last night was Guildford Writers. A really good turnout - about a dozen people, though it did mean that not everyone could read their stuff. I was able to read an extract of my current novel, Innocent Bystanders (working title only) that I’d written on holiday. My dialogue had them laughing in the aisles (though actually it’s supposed to be a bit of a thriller, not a comedy). Anne (http://www.annebrooke.com/) had written an excellent article about us at Goldenford, for the Guildford Times, and someone brought me a copy to look at.

Today, more catch up. I finally finished the VAT and paid it in at the bank today. I normally finish it at the end of the relevant month. This time, circumstances made me a week late. Let’s hope they don’t fine me. Next is the end of month (last month) statements. And the next lot of washing is on the line and the shirts from the last lot waiting to be ironed. Tonight I’ll put my feet up and watch The Apprentice. It’s M’s birthday today, so I ought to think of something special to cook. Hmm. Unlikely though. It’s 4.50 already, so it has to be something quickly defrostable. And the doc has told him to lose weight, so no creamy desert. Oh and I went back to the dentist today for the replacement filling. When he finished he said it was in God’s hands now. It didn’t sound like a vote of confidence in himself. The last filling lasted three weeks, and I am worried that this will have the same fate. Alas the Spanish dentist started quoting me things about pressure per square metre (never was any good at Physics) in order to explain to me why a filling was no good in this situation. I’ll just have to wait and hope.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Don't you dare undersell yourself!!!! That dialogue was bloody brilliant and you know it - or you flipping well ought to!! It acted as the porter scene does in Macbeth - essential light pause between scenes of great tension, plus you added depth to the characters already fully established (which Shakespeare doesn't do in that scene ...). Don't knock it!!!

Sorry, rant over - you can come out from behind the sofa now.

Oh, and hope teeth are on the up (as it were) and happy birthday and hugs to M!

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

Thanks Anne. Wow - being compared to Shakespeare. Praise indeed.
And I'll pass the hugs to M.