Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Efficiency (almost) personified

I tried to be efficient today and almost achieved it. I prepared my manuscript, together with biography for Writers’ Forum and packaged it up, so that I could go to the post office. I had some telephone calls to make before leaving home, but managed to get to the PO before it closed for lunch. Because of the thickness of it, (SAE enclosed) it nearly qualified for the next postal rate. [It’s a bit of a pain this ‘large letter’ stuff. I used to be able to throw things on the kitchen scales; now they have to be measured in all sorts of other ways.] Then I bought some eggs; then petrol and Sainsbury’s, followed by dropping off a few plastic bottles at the recycling centre in the village.

Only when I got home did I realise I’d missed out on one of the fruit aisles and had to go back, thus wasting half an hour. By this time M was back from the garage, where he went to do a job for them. He took his car there, with bicycle on board; left the car there, cycled back and arrived home puffed out. Tomorrow, he will take my car and bring his home. Apparently my ‘new’ car door has arrived. Once tied to the house, I will get back to the bookkeeping, but at least I am now very up to date with invoices. All except one or two pending have been typed, entered and sent.

I managed to throw together a brief piece ready for tonight’s Guildford Writers’ meeting. Only 600 words but I’ll try to keep going with it. It’s intended to go to the Writers’ News ‘Park-keeper’ competition. Not many people there tonight, so we all had ample time to read. All good stuff, as usual.

No comments: