Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hysterectomy diary

If you are missing my normal blog, bear with me. At the moment, I'm not doing anything that warrants reporting. Once normal life resumes - so will a normal blog.


5th June

Today - Saturday – has been a bad day. At first I thought I was exhausted because I had done too much yesterday. I had a pain killer at about 8.00 a.m. and another one at about 12.00. I shouldn’t have had them. They have made me feel drugged all day – as indeed I was. I need to take control of the drugs regime here, because I am not functioning well enough to deal with other things. The catering crew have left a lunch and said they would come back later with tea – and didn’t come. Because I was not keeping tabs on this, I probably became a bit dehydrated (also because of the weather) so have gone back a stage with the catheter. (No water passed on my own.) The drugged state made me think I’ve done something when I haven’t – like pressing the call button. Or I dream I’ve discussed something with a nurse and wake up and only a minute has passed. It’s a bit like when you have a high temperate and you’re delirious.

Now the end of the day – 10.30 pm. I’ve had a discussion with one of the nurses. The medication I was taking was apparently very strong. I got the impression that I got a different strength medication because I asked for soluble, but am not absolutely sure that’s correct. However, the nurse on duty this morning gave me a speech about having pain relief before you need it, not when you need it, etc., etc. When you’re vulnerable, it’s easy to be scared of any potential pain and to be convinced that you should avoid it. Tonight, though, I have declined all medication except laxatives. Must sleep now. Close down 10.30.

No comments: