Friday, June 18, 2010

Hysterectomy diary

Sunday, 6th June

Apart from waking briefly at 4.30 a.m. and reading the paper for 20 minutes, I had a good night and at 6.30 had my first cup of tea.

I am resigned to taking laxitives, now despite refusing them initially. This is one area where the nursing staff in charge accepted my refusal without discussion, with the exception of one nurse (or sister – not sure who’s who). She was the only person to point out that they should be taken three times a day. I had assumed I was turning down a once-a-day medication. So – my error of judgement – but a discussion should have been required. Back to the painkillers – the nurse had obviously had it drummed into her that it’s better not to allow the patient to get to unbearable pain. However, it had become a mantra, where ‘no pain’ was equal to good and slight discomfort equal to bad. What she hadn’t taken into consideration was bad effect of drugs. Obviously the specific drug – codrydomol (I think) had a bad effect on me. However, Day 1 and Day 3 had the quality of living in a nightmare, whereas Day 2, when it seemed to me I had fewer drugs, was a much better day.

Today, I am alert and pain free. Moral: The idea of being pain free is seductive, but being in a drug induced stupor could be just as bad as being in pain. Note: Paracetomol was an option that should have been taken.

I am expecting visitors today and am currently clad in an inelegant hospital nightie, thanks to a leak on my external plumbing system, yesterday, which caused me to suddenly discover I was in a wet bed.

The previous night’s drama (also as a result of my stupor) was that I creamed my face with steroid cream, meant for eczema on my hands, instead of antibiotic cream for acne rosacia. I realised ¾ of the way through and washed the face thoroughly.

Later:

No painkillers at all today and I feel miles better for that. Waterworks are proceeding slowly. Ever time I go, it feels a bit like I have cystitis. So at the moment my only problems are waterworks and other related matters. To resolve the latter, I’ve put up with laxitives, and today suppositories. Other than that and having a tube stuck in my stomach, I feel in very good shape. Much better than I could have anticipated. Swallowing is a little uncomfortable, but improving and I’ve taken to leaving the crusts from my lunchtime sandwiches.

Today my SIL & BIL called to see me and the OH came for a meal in the evening. Now he’s gone and I’m comfortably reclining watching George Clooney in some chickflick – One Fine Day. I wouldn’t be watching it if I were at home. So there’s something to be said for having a private room and exclusive TV.

End of the day and I’m just polishing off hot chocolate. Delicious.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice post.

Thanks for the effort you took to expand upon this topic so thoroughly. I look forward to future post.

Plumber is basically a person who is concerned with water supply, pipelines, and other work related to water in residential or commercial societies and buildings.
now-a-days people have started using internet for finding a good plumber because it is much easier. You can visit different websites and collect numerous information about them. Blogs and forums could also help you in knowing different plumbers. You just need to do the search using your favorite search engine.
If you are facing any problems with bath equipment or you are looking for Baltimore Plumbing services, please check out this site. Pohlman Plumbing. The site presents much details about Baltimore Plumbing Service and how to order them should they are required.