Monday, June 14, 2010

The unkindest cut?

Now that I'm back home, gradually recovering, I thought I would give details of my operation. Please don't read any further if this is of no interest to you.


My Hysterectomy Diary

2nd June 2010

Arrived at the hospital at midday. Once I am shown into the room, no-one comes back. So Michael goes home, leaving me to await instructions. We only put 70p in the parking meter (half an hour), so Michael has to go. Whilst I don’t really want him to hover around, I would like a nurse to appear and tell me what I am supposed to be doing. For the first time this year it is warm and I am not dressed for it. Yesterday, we had the heating on at home and today my short sleeved jumper is too warm.

I am in a private room at a private hospital, but I don’t know which cupboards are for my use and which for the nurses. I am despondent to find I cannot get ITV3 on the TV, so no Morse to watch.

My overriding feeling is that I am entering hospital relatively fit and I shall be transformed into someone who is weak and unfit.

I’m in a bit of a limbo – waiting for something to happen.

2.30 p.m. I have seen the surgeon, the anaesthetist and the nurse in charge of me. I am hungry now (having fasted since 7.30 a.m.) and the operation won’t take place for another hour. I am going to have an injection in the spine for pain relief. After that I shall be pretty woozy. They will check blood pressure every half hour, including through the night.

No comments: