Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hysterectomy Diary

Thursday, 24th June

It’s two weeks since I came out of hospital and three weeks from the day after the operation. I removed my clot buster socks today. That’s a great relief.

It’s a nice day, but I’m tired and rather listless. I have been busyish for the last three days, so perhaps that’s the reason. On Monday, I telephoned the dentist, and fortunately for me, they had a space available for him to look at my broken tooth. The OM wanted to see if he could make an appointment for a check up at the same time, seeing that he had to chauffeur me there, but they couldn’t fit that in. So I went mid-morning on Tuesday, and the dentist saw me immediately I arrived. ‘It’s either top left or bottom right,’ he guessed, remembering my troublesome areas. ‘Top left,’ I told him. ‘I hope it’s not the crown.’ (On that occasion, I had to sit for about 40 minutes with my mouth open. Didn’t like that at all.) He checked and reassured. However, he also warned that this tooth might need a crown soon. But for the moment, he could do a patch-up job; he also spotted a broken bit down at the other troublesome area, and repaired that too. Because, he only needed to fill the two teeth, and not drill, I was in and out in about five minutes. What a relief. When my mouth was full of equipment, he asked me, was I still writing. ‘Mmm,’ I grunted, though I haven’t done much recently. That reminded me to leave details of Tainted Tree with his receptionist. My flyer gives extracts of some of the very nice comments that people have made about TT, as well as one or two extracts from reviews.

On Wednesday, still worried about the increased number of visits to the loo, I went back to the consultant. She reassured. After testing my sample with a dipstick, she was sure there were no nasty bacteria, and I needn’t go onto antibiotics. I did drink a great deal of cranberry juice, though. In the afternoon, we went to visit friends, sat in their garden for tea, and I perked up a bit. Could only manage to sit in front of the TV in the evening, though. (Lewis was on, always a bonus; the plot isn’t always coherent, but I’d watch it just to see Kevin Whately as Lewis – and the pairing with his sidekick, Hathaway, (played by a member of the Fox acting dynasty) works almost as well as the old Morse/Lewis team.

Today, out, once again, this morning. This time to the hairdresser, as it’s about three months since my hair was trimmed. The OM managed to fit in a trip to the barber’s too, and we bought some soft fruit while we were out. It’s time for my walk, now, as I now have to increase my walking to two 15 minute strolls per day, and the shopping in Knaphill can be regarded as one of them. We shall be out on Saturday morning and Sunday, again, so I may have to take things easy tomorrow.

No comments: