Sunday, December 24, 2006

The festive season

No-one’s ever accused me of being energetic, so I’m happy if I get one major job done in a day. I did the Sainsbury’s shop on Friday – not a huge shop, as we don’t have to cater for anyone until after Christmas – however, when I run out of bananas, I always know it’s time to go to the supermarket. I also got off the first couple of quotations with an accompanying explanatory letter, which M & I worked on together. My writing skills are always put to good use when I’m taking dictation.

There’ll be another visit to the supermarket on Wednesday next before our kids arrive – by that time, we’ll need fresh fruit and veg. oh – and milk. The milkman, who always believes in keeping his visits a secret from me in the Christmas period, left me my Friday order, plus my Christmas order – six pints in total - but didn’t fill me in on when he’s coming next.

Yesterday I made an apple cake, a portion to take to my brother in law on Christmas Day, and the rest for freezing. It’s basically a Victoria sponge cake with large pieces of apple covering the top, and always appreciated, though this time, I think I overcooked it a fraction, and the sponge shrunk back from the apple. Recipe available for anyone who’s interested. I took a couple of apples from my store in the shed and spotted a couple of bad ones, which I threw out. But the one I used was perfect.

Then in the evening, we went to our first two social occasions – one with our neighbours and the second at Jennifer’s (Writers’ Circle and MD of Goldenford (www.goldenford.co.uk)). It was a shame to leave party No. 1, but there is another neighbour’s party tonight and a lot of the same people will be there, so we’ll have a chance to talk to them then. We spent most of the evening at party No. 2 – thank you Jennifer and Tony for a great evening. Lovely food and good company. We left at 11.30 pm. M was falling asleep and I didn’t realise how tired he was and delegated the driving to him, as I’d a couple of glasses of wine. But I couldn’t get off to sleep, affected by a late cup of tea at Jennifer’s. I can’t take caffeine late at night, now.

Woke up this morning very tired indeed and in fact was so dopey that I washed most of me twice over in the shower. I only remembered when I thought – I’ve washed this leg before. However I’ve woken up a bit now and will try to do something productive this afternoon before going to our next social bash.

No comments: