Thursday, December 07, 2006

Getting things done

My cousin Nick (who I’ve never met, but who is in charge of a huge family tree) sent me the census records for my grandfather and great grandfather on my father’s side for the years 1881 and 1871. Fascinating stuff. They lived in East London and although they, themselves, had, I think about one or two children each, at that time, the total occupancy of the houses in which they lived was about a dozen people. My grandfather was a young man at the time, living with his first wife; my grandmother was a little girl. They married when his wife died, by which time, he had eight children.

I started watching ‘Love Actually’ last night and switched it off after establishing it was a load of rubbish. Why Richard whathisname is so acclaimed, I can’t imagine. I couldn’t put up with the gratuitous four letter words. It reminded me of when my son said ‘Knickers’ as a substitute swear word, when he was about ten. These stupid people regard the overuse of swearing as wit or sophistication. Give me American chick-lit any time. Nora Ephron with ‘When Sally met Harry’, or ‘You’ve got mail.’

The weather was terrible today. When I went off to Guildford, there was a gale and the rain was teeming down. (Later I heard there was a tornado in NW London.) But it quietened down and I managed to park easily, which was great. And I accomplished what I wanted to do and got presents for the kids, and got back before rush hour too. And tonight, I made a batch of brownies. Tomorrow, I have cooking to do for a lunch on Saturday.

2 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

I agree - Love Actually is rubbish - but Emma Thompson is hot in it in her scene where she realises her husband is having an affair. It really pounces off the screen and lands in your gut. And Bill Nighy is top-notch too. They're the only people worth watching it for!

A
xxx

Jackie Luben said...

I couldn't stick it out that long. I can put up with the language when it's necessary for the script. But I hate it when it's punctuation. Even Alf Garnett used to irritate me though my father used the same epithets when he lost his temper.